May 27, 2006

mmm.... It's good to have land

Home is a place not only of strong affections, but of entire unreserve; it is life's undress rehearsal, its backroom, its dressing room.

~Harriet Beecher Stowe

Sorry I haven’t posted in awhile. That’s a side-effect of being happy. But even in my happiness I'm allowed guilt trip posting.
Shall we catch up? We shall. But this is the short version. Hopefully I’ll post long version later.

I flew into the airport in Pittsburgh to be greeted by Caitlin wearing a huge doll-head (and some other people.) We drove into our tiny little college town and attended a dinner where some people gave some very mediocre speeches. Then we went to the condo, where there was not drunken revelry, rather puff-painting and Disney movies. We came back to campus and I got to see professors and people of all shapes and familiarities. Then when they all had to pack, Caitlin and I went and did funner things. Then my parents came and I was pleased to see them. Then some other things happened, including my graduation ceremony. Allan gave a wonderful speech, and I cried even though it wasn’t sad. Then I got a fake diploma, took many many pictures with other people’s cameras, then drove home with the ‘rents.

Be it ever so humble, kids: I’M FREAKIN’ EXCITED TO BE HOME! I was welcomed with a party, which was nice. People gave me money which was very nice. I should write my thank you notes, which would be nice. Since then I have done nothing but lie around the house (Except for that one day I helped Dad at a job in Lexington and today when we went to see X-Men 3 [which was slightly unimpressive] and two nights ago when I was really sick… but that was still at the house so I guess it might not count). That’s been fun so far, but I’ve found that doing nothing is extraordinarily boring (Look Ma, I’m Type-A!) so I’ve started my job hunt.

I don’t think I’m just looking for a summer job. I think I might be looking for something that might keep me here, or at least in this vicinity. Cost of living is just too amazing to go back to NYC right now. I LOVE the creative arts, but I really think that they can be a hobby for me as long as I can find a job that’s fulfilling. So I’m looking for a job with the state. I’m about 15 minutes away from the capital and I know a lot of people that work there, so I’m giving it a shot.

In the meantime, I’m trying to think of how best to spend all this new-found thing I’ve encountered called extra cash. You see I have my rent deposit return, my last internship check, that check from when I helped dad out this week, graduation $$, and 15,346 ‘than you reward points’ from my credit card (sad sad fact: points do not = dollars). I think I’ve settled on buying a game console. And this is where audience participation kicks in: the last gaming system to come into my possession was a Sega Genesis. I’ve tooled around with games enough to know that they’re fun, but I don’t know what’s the best, and even though I don’t need to be as strict with my frugality, I’m only purchasing ONE. You’re in my shoes. What would YOU buy?

PS2 – Melikes Metal Gear games
Xbox – it’s controller is bulky, but I do like me some Pansy Dragon
Nintendo GameCube – it’s the cheapest, I think
PSP – I could take it anywhere in my handy dandy manbag

OR

Splurge on an Xbox 360 – and later force myself to buy an HDTV for the graphics
Wait for a Nintendo Wii - because it’s supposedly amazing
Wait for a PS3 – because, like my name, it has a 3 at the end of it.

As you can see, my reasoning is useless on this issue, and y’all’s help would be much appreciated. So to my techno geek friends: justify yourselves.

Did I mention I’m relieved to be home? Because I am.

Comments on "mmm.... It's good to have land"

 

Blogger Rainey said ... (11:35 PM) : 

I recommend the state. In my almost 2 months of working for Commonwealth of PA, I've found it to be a very rewarding job. It doesn't pay a lot, but the perks make up for it. Good choice.

 

Blogger Yax said ... (4:52 PM) : 

The title of this post made me laugh. I was almost going to stop reading right there because I got the laugh I came for, but fortunately I read to the end and can act all pompous and smart because I know stuff about video game systems.

PS2 - I bought one because I like the Final Fantasy series. The system has other good exclusive titles like Kingdom Hearts and Katamari Damacy that I enjoy. And with the recent price drop, you could pick up a used one for about $100. Plus, you can pick up a whole library of used games on the cheap.

Xbox - I love my Xbox, but it has some *cough* modifications that that make it awesome. Like the ability to stream movies from my computer to my TV. I enjoy that. But unless you're going to crack it open and add stuff to it, or at least have friends over and play four-player games, it may not be the best bet. Although it does have the same advantage as the PS2 in that used game prices are falling now the the new consoles are coming out.

GameCube - Yes, it's the cheapest. I don't own one, so I can't say much, but the Wii will play GameCube games when it comes out, so if you feel like waiting, that's an option.

PSP - No. From what I hear, there are very few good games available for it. Again, I don't own one, but I've heard more bad then good about it. The best reason to own one would be if you were going to hack it and use it as a portible media player, which you probably aren't. But if you like portable, may I suggest...

Nintendo DS Lite - Come out June 11. I pre-ordered one yesterday. The system has a slew of good games out, has wireless and internet play, and has two screens. Two screens have to be better than one, right? Even if they aren't, the DS also plays Game Boy Advance games, and those can be had inexpensively as well.

Xbox 360 - I think you hit the nail on the head there. Unless you have an HDTV to go with it, you're missing out on the 360's biggest selling point: the graphics. I don't have one of these either, but the whole Xbox Live service sounds pretty cool. The controllers seem better than the original Xbox too.

Nintendo Wii - I want one of these when it comes out, although I doubt I'll be able to afford it. Stupid name aside, the controller is supposed to be awesome and the games, while not the best graphically, are supposed to be a lot of fun. Plus, you'll be able to download old Nintendo and Super Nintendo games to it and play them. Sweet Retro Gaming.

PS3 - If you can afford on of these, more power to you, but I would stay as far away as possible. $600 for the console, plus $70-80 for a new game, plus extra controllers, etc.? Too rich for my blood. Plus Microsoft will have an extra year of developing time over Sony, so second generation Xbox 360 games will be out at the time first generation PS3 games hit the shelves.

Summary - More information than you really wanted, right? Here's the gist. If you want a good system with a bunch of games for not a lot of money, you probably want a PS2. If you want a portable system, go for the DS. If you want to be all cutting edge and next gen, wait for the Wii. I have spoken.

 

Blogger Beth said ... (2:44 PM) : 

man bag photo = genius!

miss you.

 

Blogger Donkey Patrol said ... (1:20 PM) : 

Dude...

1) I'm glad you're home and it was good to run into you for a bit at graduation
2) Manbags and Stella? Perfect!!
3) I bleed nintendo. If nintendo makes it, I buy it. If nintendo puts out a new game console, I recommend it. Nintendo poops on everyone, and all I can do is drop my droors in willing support!

 

Blogger Jen said ... (1:37 PM) : 

i vote look for one of those original super nintendo game systems, because let's face it...it RLY doesn't get any better than original super mario bros, zelda, tetris, and duck hunt.

 

post a comment