April 14, 2006

Freaky Friday

Two men walking up a hill
One disappears and one’s left standing still
I wish we’d all been ready
~Larry Norman / DC Talk

TGI Friday. Black Friday. Casual Friday. Next Friday.
Today, it’s Good Friday. But that doesn’t mean various Fridays can’t overlap.

You know those times when in the very back of your mind you have the sneaking suspicion that the Rapture happened and you were left behind? It hasn’t happened since I was a kid. I actually used to think it all the time when I was little. Any time I called for a parent and they didn’t come immediately, or if I was separated from a group of people because I was totally lost in my own bizarre thought process. Maybe it’s just me, in which case you now know one of my many charming neuroses… Anyway, I had one of those moments today.

Because of Passover / Easter celebrations enjoyed by all, pretty much every office is off today except for mine. So this morning I get off the subway at Times Square 42nd Street, crossroads of the world and all that, right? It was COMPLETELY EMPTY! (okay, maybe not the whole stop. It’s quite large. But definitely the 40th Street exit). After traveling through this zoo every day for the past four months, I’ve grown accustomed to shoving my way through an ocean of people every morning to get to work. The utter lack of commotion was acutely disturbing. Well, at least for a crazy person.

Speaking of crazy neuroses... I take a lot of time looking up these stupid little quotes in gray at the beginning of each of my posts. For me, they all have something to do with at least a little part of what I say in the text. Today I spent A LOT of time looking up that stupid DC Talk song. I could have sworn I knew what album it was on (Jesus Freak was standard issue to my people). But turns out I'd heard it some other way. And then I found out they didn't write it. And by "found out" I mean "remembered." So it was kind of frustrating.

But on the bright side, I stumbled accross these lovely little blasts from the past:

We’re just two honks, and a negro
Servin’ the lord
We’re just two honks, and a negro
Singin’ our song

Will power!
Will power!
Will power!
The power to will away...temptation!
[temptation sold separately, batteries not included]

I luv rap music
I always have, and I always will
There ain’t no other kinda music in all the world
That makes me feel quite as chill
I luv rap music
Ya know, it’s sittin’ on the top of my list
So if ya wanna hang with me, ya better believe
We’ll be jammin’ to a hip hop mix

and who could ever forget study time in the SAC:
I don’t want it, I don’t want it, want it
I don’t want it, want your sex for now
I don’t want it, I don’t want it, want it
I don’t want it, ’til we take the vows

Comments on "Freaky Friday"

 

Blogger Rainey said ... (8:36 PM) : 

Wow... those are some lyrics... I can't imagine why those guys are super mainstream or anything :-P.

 

Blogger The Prufroquette said ... (1:53 AM) : 

I used to worry about being "left behind" too. Particularly after watching this creepy left-behind-ish movie made in the 70s, all about this girl who's left behind and has to go on the run for her life all the time, b/c her whole family were Christians and she's under suspicion or something, and it's all 70s filming techniques and pretty creepy.

Now I'm not that worried.

 

post a comment