November 09, 2004

swimming in my own brain

There are books of which the backs and covers are by far the best parts.
- Charles Dickens

I got really sick three days ago. I didn't go to Zerbe, because that place is useless. Instead, I've been self-medicating myself with an assortment of drugs, painkillers, herbal suppliments, vitamins and teas. I realize today that this was a mistake.

After last night's rehearsal, I was pretty much ready to crawl into a hole and die. I skipped my morning classes today (writing emails to my professors, of course) in hopes of resting up and feeling better by tomorrow. Now I need Zerbe excuses to be able to take the test I missed in Life Science. Because of the little pharmacy I've been running, I feel much better. Now I'm waiting until I feel sick again to go to Zerbe to get my dang excuse. Life is unfair.

So, to waste time I figured I'd blog. Whoopee.

Opening night is tomorrow. That's not the best news because right now the show is pretty awful. Mrs. Craig's father died on Friday, so the rehearsals have been run by the student director. He's doing a good job, but he just doesn't have the following Mrs. Craig does, especially when it comes to the music director (but that's a whole 'nother story). So we have tonight's dress rehearsal and then we start in front of people. There are two bad things in this: tonight's going to take FOREVER, and tomorrow's still going to be a huge disappointment.

Nevertheless, I encourage all of you to come see it. When I know what I'm doing, I do it pretty well, and when I don't know what I'm doing it's pretty funny. Plus there's no telling what I'll sound like by Friday and Saturday. I think it'll be a mixture of Claw from Inspector Gadget and Harvey Fiernstein. *shudder*

I lost my ID a few days ago, so I just haven't been going to meals. I'm sure being malnurished hasn't helped my predicament, but I refused to pay $25 for a replacement when I knew it was around somewhere. After calling security and MAP cafeteria repeatedly, I finally realized I left it in they gym. I'd gone in there to take pictures for my latest Collegian article. So, of course, it was in the last place I'd ever look.

We have our "Theatre and Theology" meeting today. I'm pretty excited about it, except for two things. One you already know. The other reason is that I really want to spend the summer in NYC. After doing some more writing between International Politics, the newspaper and my blog, I've found I really want to write. I won't write a novel or anything (unless it's a novel of nothing but glib and sarcasm), but in magazines or perspective articles. I talked to a friend who wrote for a travel magazine, and I think I'm going to pursue it. I'm going to need a lot of money to do it, and spending all this money on this trip is that much less money I'll have for the summer. Conundrum.

Like I mentioned earlier, I wrote my latest Collegian article the other day: "Large and in Charge." It should be coming out Friday if they haven't thrown it in the garbage. I hammered it out in about half an hour, so it's not that great. It's about the freshman fifteen. I basically made fun of people who didn't know it was due to alcohol, then I made fun of our food service, then I made fun of healthy people, then I made fun of the college. Even if it wasn't art, it was very cathartic, which has the word "art" in it, so I still feel fulfilled. Plus I used the word "corpulence." I need a glold star.

I just found a book that's way overdue. Blast. I don't think I'm getting any sicker. Hopefully the Zerbe ladies will be merciful. Signing off.

Comments on "swimming in my own brain"

 

Blogger Trey said ... (2:30 PM) : 

This was my 50th post. I think that's some sort of milestone. Praise me.

 

Blogger Trey said ... (3:39 PM) : 

I'd have to live with you


for free

 

post a comment