September 23, 2004

Homeschool Hair

"Chaos Theory is a new theory invented by scientists panicked by the thought that the public were beginning to understand the old ones."
- Mike Barfield


I'm in class right now. I can't sit in my usual seat between Erin and Neil because Oak Moser decided to actually show up for class and asked my entire row to scoot over before I got there. So I'm pretty much alone on the other side of the room. Film History and Theory has the potential for a lot of fun, but there are times when my time is better-spent blogging.

I've been labeled as somewhat judgemental. I didn't really know how I came to be painted so until I finished my article (which comes out tomorrow!) and had to be censored. In reflection, I think I'm abou taas harsh with people as I am with films. Sometimes I do so superficially and distantly, which is unfair. So now I've resolved to give everyone at least ten seconds of personal interaction before I permanently label them.

The first instance is the infamous Amazon Skirt Girl, also known as Baby Gap and That Whore. After referring to her as such, I was accosted by a mutual friend of ours. I had considered the options of why she takes mens' neckties and wears them as skirts: she has an unusually long torso, she wants to feel beautiful, etc. There's also her QPA factor. It's a 4.0. Still, I reserve judgement until I actually have a conversation with her. So, though I may call her Amazon, I hold nothing against her.

In contrast, I met someone the other day in the Fine Arts building (a breeding ground for all sorts of fun). She was coming out of Acting and Directing talking to another friend of mine. Now, I could have condemned her for wearing a big sparkly blue shirt with sweatpants, socks with sandles, and extreme homechool hair. But no, I reserved judgement for when she planted a big wet kiss on Caitlin's cheek. Now she's been shunned, and I feel like a better-balanced human being. And the world can continue to go 'round.

Comments on "Homeschool Hair"

 

Blogger Trey said ... (2:54 PM) : 

Oh, Neil

No hard feelings. That's what you people are there for.

 

Blogger lvs said ... (9:56 AM) : 

Mmm... homeschool hair... wouldn't you like to date someone with homeschool hair?

 

Blogger Yax said ... (3:46 PM) : 

Forgive my ignorance, but...what is "homeschool hair"?

 

Blogger Trey said ... (4:35 PM) : 

Yaxley,
Homeschool hair:
Very big, very frizzy. You would imagine a Mennonite mother of 15 would sport it proudly. It's usually held together by a scrunchie or something equally gawdy. On "good" days there is a braid in the middle of it, desperately trying to stay on the surface. It's 50/50 whether or not they have perfectly quaffed bangs or not.

lvs,
Have I expressed interest in a homeschool-hair'd individual I'm not aware of? Or are you simply pointing out how horrid it would be if that were true?

 

Blogger Trey said ... (4:37 PM) : 

That last "or not" in my homeschool hair definition was redundant. However, I don't know how to edit comments.

 

Blogger lvs said ... (8:09 PM) : 

my jest on dating a homeschool hair-ed being was a sick joke... if such an event ever occurs, well... we'll give her some mousse.

 

Blogger Trey said ... (10:59 AM) : 

Indeed. But don't forget the metrosexual. It's "product" now.

 

Blogger Trey said ... (11:29 AM) : 

It has been called to my attention that perhaps ten seconds is not enough. In lieu of lengthening the judgement period, though, I will state what had previously gone unmentioned. The ten-second judgement is in no way permanent or labelling. As far as I'm cocerned you get seven ten-second periods. Or even seventy times seven...

 

post a comment