March 04, 2005

Crossing the Final Age Milestone to Adulthood (while Doing my Homework)

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, 'It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than to be selfish and worry about my liver.'

~Jack Handey


I only have to finish this one semester, then I will forever decree that the Spanish language is officially forbidden within 50 yards of me. I finally turned 21, and it feels like I’ve started off a New Year doing nothing but Spanish homework. On midnight of my birthday, some people came and sang to me in the student union, then I had to retreat back to my corner and finish up the 4 and a half hours I spent on this stupid 200-word composition about leading a healthy lifestyle. And now tonight I’m cramming for the exam and finishing the ten pages of homework that’s due tomorrow.

I’m really at a loss as to what to do. Nomatter what my QPA will suffer: I’m terrible at Spanish; when I fail it, my QPA will suffer. If I try really hard and study non-stop for Spanish, all my other grades suffer because I have no time to devote to them whatsoever. Furthermore, I think the foreign language requirement is the most ridiculous obligation here at this wonderful school. Not to mention that Spanish, much like French, is purely of the devil. Yes, we are being taken over by the dirty Mexicans, but at the very least I can rest assured that they’re learning f---ing English as they do so. Nonetheless, I spent three sleepless nights this week worrying about how to say “I have twisted my ankle but I would like to go on a hike.” I went into my professor’s office to explain to her that I’m not failing (literally) her class because I don’t care or pay attention, but because I’m genuinely stupid. She sort of understands, but she isn’t cutting me any slack.

I did, however, take some Trey time for my 21st. We got out of Much Ado rehearsal at 10:30 and made our way to Benjamin’s for a night of revelry. Sadly, the singular bartender was a dick. He carded us each time we went up to the bar, didn’t wish me a happy birthday after careful examination of my license under a lamp, closed the grill early, complained about having to make “complicated” drinks, and was overall a bastard. But I guess it was all for the better. I was too pissed to have too much fun, so I felt fine this morning for giving a tour at 10:00.

Sorry for the language. I’ve censored myself a little bit, but spending hours pouring over my “Vistas” book makes my blood boil. This has just been a really crappy week. Here you were probably hoping to hear about something that happened in January or February, but no. The only thing that exists in history is this past week: hell week. I will say, though, that I’m directing Children’s Theatre. I’m doing a show that Hans wrote, “The Music Box.” It’s amazing and my cast is great, but it’s really hectic right now with less than a week before Much Ado goes up and all this class stuff I have to deal with (I haven’t mentioned the 6 other classes I’m taking...).

I have a band concert tomorrow. I know. Weird. I just figured I shouldn’t completely forget how to play the saxophone, seeing as how I spent eight years learning how. It’s really boring and sounds really awful, but I’m getting my chops and fingers back, and it’s a little fascinating. But I definitely won’t be doing any more after this semester.

I’m rethinking my whole big plan to graduate a semester early. After dealing with this crap, I’m thinking it’s a much better idea to take two light semesters my senior year, giving me time to relish my last days in college and to look around at starting a career. I sure as hell won’t be taking Spanish, but I think I’d like to cut back on class credits in general, maybe do an independent study, like a film or something.

Anyway, speaking of Spanish, I have to memorize a page of vocab and learn all about Bolivia, all the while praying for the second coming.

Comments on "Crossing the Final Age Milestone to Adulthood (while Doing my Homework)"

 

Blogger Herr Wissenschaft said ... (8:59 PM) : 

As one who switched majors twice and then tried to rush through my undergrad degree to make up for lost time, I say take it easy. (Your parents might disagree. But who listens to parents anyway?) Senior year should be savored, as you will never experience another one in your life. In fact, that could be said about every day. Sorry to wax philosophical on you, seeing as how you don't know me. Well, ask Yaxley about me. (He'd better say nice things or I'll tell his mother!)

 

post a comment