September 21, 2006

The Itsy Bitsy Spidery-Legged Freakish Hairy Centipede

I’m still at the library. It’s been eons since I read many blogs and I have much catching up to do. And I also get distracted with phone calls and the occasional urge to go look at books.

Our current distraction is a bug. One of those hairy centipedes with long spidery legs that can move wicked fast and are damn near impossible to kill. It’s crawling across the floor in front of me, going deliberately slow. I’m keeping an eye on it because I’m slightly terrified of it. One of them fell from a ceiling vent onto my head during a history class when I was in eighth grade. I don’t like them.

But as he crawls along, well out of my way, I grow concerned with his own safety. People keep walking by (for a library with automatic checkout, this place has an enormous staff) and I fear for the little guy’s life.

And in fearing for his life, I begin to wonder about it. What does a bug do with his time? Crawl and eat? Eat what? Crawl where? Does a smaller brain make such a life palpable? If not, I bet he’s thinking, “Thank God our life spans are so short.” (Though not in so many words) Either that or he’s trying to end it by crawling slowly through obvious peril.

And maybe he’s a she. Even more depressing that no one could know by looking. I wonder if I could look him up in a book somewhere.

I’m glad I'm not a hairy centipede.

Labels:

Comments on "The Itsy Bitsy Spidery-Legged Freakish Hairy Centipede"

 

Blogger Graceful Peaceful German Fischer said ... (11:11 AM) : 

This happened after I left, didn't it?

 

Blogger Rainey said ... (8:56 AM) : 

Hey, can you send me that picture over email? You know, the one you sent me over the phone that I can't do anything with. I think it needs to be my facebook pic.

 

Blogger Trey said ... (7:00 PM) : 

no

 

Blogger The Prufroquette said ... (2:31 AM) : 

Trey, I busted a blood vessel laughing over this post.

So glad you have internet. Now you can be funny and entertain me much more frequently.

Which I demand forthwith.

 

post a comment