March 10, 2008

Well THAT Ended with a Fizzle...

We reached the end of the One Acts just a little earlier than we intended to. Due to preposterously inclement weather, our last performance had to be cancelled. I don’t think there’s a more impotent way to go out than to miss the last performance. You get none of the closure with the other actors, the production staff, or your characters. There’s something about a final performance that just can’t be replaced. If it’s a part you love, it’s like a drawn-out mushy goodbye. If it’s a part you hate, you get to relish its dying moments.
I had sort of a love-hate relationship with the ninja this year. He was a lot of fun to play, and gave me much critical acclaim, but I’ve never been so exhausted doing a part. I’m sad to see him go, but I’m glad to recover from my scrapes, bruises, sprains, and upper respiratory infection. As far as “Man” goes, I really wanted to die one more time. “Embrace” had nice closure built right into it. I think a last performance would have been my best.
I’m also kinda miffed that my friends didn’t get to see it, that my parents had to call and alert me of their cancelled plans to surprise me, and that nobody got refunded. But I’m glad I don’t have to help with strike. I’m also finally getting my hair cut, which means savings on hair gel.

But no rest for the wicked. Rehearsal for “Cabaret” started last night. New theatre. New part of town. It’s a gorgeous space, and the production staff seems awesome. It’s fun to be the new guy again. Blowing some people away with my much-to-be-desired-German-accent.
There are many versions of “Cabaret” revived between 1966 and 1998. Ours is a mix-match of the most appropriate, and I’ve been well-convinced that ours will be the best, book-wise.
I’m playing Ernst, which I’ve mentioned earlier. It has its ups and downs. It’s a featured character, but I have significant rest periods. As a main character I’m spared from any “Cabaret Boys” shenanigans. But it also means that I don’t sing hardly at all. Oh, and I’m a Nazi.

Back to the weather, we had a bit of a blizzard up in the land of Cleve. People got it bad everywhere, but not so much as we who dwell lake-side. It’s always novel to see a solid wall of snow up to your knees when you open your front door. It becomes less amusing when it’s been there for two days. It took forever for the people at our “luxury community” to plough pathways through the sidewalks. And what was terribly funny was the fact that they neglected to carve a path to the parking lot, so I circled the building once before giving up and trudging through the waist-deep snow to go to work this morning. And there was a pile of snow blocking my garage that I had to mow over with my car. But it is fun that we have a white labyrinth out here.

Comments on "Well THAT Ended with a Fizzle..."

 

post a comment