September 27, 2005

Who put you in charge?

You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.
~Dave Barry

So, this was my big free day to do whatever I wanted. Possibly the last one of the semester. I don’t have any classes, and after my shift in the admissions office I was free from noon to 6.

But Christy’s son got sick this morning and she had to run out and take him to the hospital. This left the office practically empty because all of the admissions counselors are out at college fairs around the country. So Courtney asked me to stay the rest of the day. So my 2 hour shift turned into 6. But hey, who am I to complain about getting paid more?

Staying in the office all day allows for the opportunity to speak with all sorts of people. Young and old, those you think are young but are old, and those you think are old but are young. People call and ask for counselors who don’t exist and high school advisors call insisting that the person who doesn’t exist made an appointment for their school function. Many people call requesting applications. Some call demanding them.

I have to admit to far too many people that I don’t actually know anything. “I’m sorry, but I’m just the phone assistant and all of our counselors are gone. Could you call back tomorrow?” and get the hell off my case?

Ah well, such is life, and it’s more entertaining than miserable. So I come out on top.

Comments on "Who put you in charge?"

 

Blogger Rainey said ... (7:22 PM) : 

I'm glad you think it's entertaining... I cry. Would you like to have my job?

 

Blogger James said ... (10:46 AM) : 

I'm going to call you and demand something. My sole goal will be to make you swear on the phone to me.

 

Blogger -K- said ... (11:32 PM) : 

you forgot to mention that you also "pee a little" on the job. your facebook made me laugh, thinking of you sitting there peeing just a tad. I AM SO COMING TO HOMECOMING AND I WILL SEE YOU THERE MR. MAN!

 

Blogger monica said ... (7:07 PM) : 

this is me leaving you a message because apparently that's what i need to do. now you have my blog link. enjoy =)

 

Blogger Donkey Patrol said ... (4:38 PM) : 

I heard all that 'hell' talk Mister! We here in the Grove City College admissions office have a no cursing policy (and no sin policy for that matter) and you should make sure to tell people as much when they call and want to know why we listen to rock and roll music on our admissions office radio!!!!! We are everything to everyone!!!!

 

post a comment