February 11, 2006

Insomnia Returns

A hack writer who would have been considered fourth rate in Europe, who tried out a few of the old proven 'sure-fire' literary skeletons with sufficient local color to intrigue the superficial and the lazy.

~William Faulkner on Mark Twain

What do Debra Messing, Tate Donovan, Max Casella, Trey G*lp*n and Jason Bateman all have in common? On Thursday night, they were all in the same room.

It wasn’t quite as exciting as you might think. I was just cleaning up after a play reading. I didn’t get to say anything more than “hi” to any of them. Debra Messing is strikingly gorgeous, but has a broken foot and a cane. I only recognized Tate Donovan from Love Potion #9 because I’ve never seen the O.C., so that was awkward. Max Casella = Neat. And Jason Bateman is Michael Bluth. ::sigh::

Right afterwards I went to see Confessions of a Mormon Boy. Small funny story behind that: when I first heard the title, I heard “Confessions of a Muslim Boy.” Already exhausted with everything to do with racial-understanding-anti-war-we’re-yelling-even-though-everyone-around-us-agrees, I was so excited to hear the correction that I signed up for my free ticket without knowing anything about the show.

So I went to a show I normally wouldn’t have given a second thought. And I’m kind of glad I did. It surprised me; I thought it would be just a bunch of gay jokes about polygamy. But it was about a guy who was hard-core Mormon with a wife and kids and how he fought and struggled with who he was for years. The acting wasn’t anything to write home about (I’ve seen better one-man-shows elsewhere), but the show was completely personal, acted by the guy who wrote it. I actually spoke with Steven Fales afterwards and told him that he really reminded me of a good friend of mine, and that I really hoped they could find a better way than he did.

After the show I got together with Rachel from work and her friend Andrew for dinner. They’re both vegans. That meant we had to eat vegan. We went to this place that was completely vegan and I didn’t have meat for dinner. I didn’t realize until that evening how much I really wanted meat right then. However, dinner was very nice. I had a general tso’s chicken substitute that was made out of sesame gluton. We also had an appetizer made with green beans and wheat gluton. It was surprisingly good, and had I been in a better mood I would probably love it. But I don’t mind being the carnivore of the group. Sure they look down on me for being insensitive. But I’m fat and happy. They’re skinny and grumpy.

I was supposed to see RENT tonight, adding to my list of free shows, but it fell through. Actually, it was better than free. They were going to pay me. Hopefully, the same offer is still open for Avenue Q. later this month. Anyway, I just came home and crashed. Now I totally can’t sleep and I’m watching Jack Black in a parody of “Jesus Christ Superstar” on TBS. Am I hungry or just bored? Maybe it’s both.

Comments on "Insomnia Returns"

 

Blogger -K- said ... (3:46 PM) : 

YOU SAW JASON BATEMAN IN PERSON??! Sooooooooo jealous!

 

Blogger Rainey said ... (10:37 AM) : 

Hey Trey! Sorry we didn't call last night. I'll see if we can call when we're at dinner tonight. Hopefully I'll talk to you soon.

 

post a comment